The Engineers Club Kochi, the exclusive family club of Graduate Engineers, is a unique entity of its kind which combines engineering professionals from different disciplines into a confluence promising a vibrant atmosphere for their professional and social interaction. Envisaged as a centre for Engineering education and practice, the club has facilities for relaxation and interaction for professionals. The club opens a world of professional and social opportunity for professionals from different walks of life through events held round the year. As a socially active organization, the Engineers Club is also committed to the technical, educatioal, civic and social causes of the region as well. The club has a land of about 65 cents at Chakkaraparambu, 1 km off the Cochin bye-pass. The facilities of the club include multi-cuisine restaurant, A/C guest suits, Permit room, Table tennis, indoor shuttle court(wooden floor), cards room, children’s play area, technical library, open air stage, lawn plus party area, ultramodern audio visual equipment, 25 pax board room, 125 pax conferece hall, outdoor game space for volley ball & ball badminton, banquet hall, ample parking area and 100% generator support.
The engineers club is affiliated to several reputed regional as well as national club in India. This feature helps members avail of the facilities of such affiliated clubs when in their region.
Birth of the Club
Formation of a family club, exclusively for engineers, had been one of the topics of discussions in the meetings of the cochin chapters of the alumni associations of the various engineering colleges. In fact representatives of the alumni of CET, MACE, TKMEC, TEC etc. have met many a times to disucss about this project. However nothing could materialize. During one of the gettogethers of CETAA Kochi, some of our friends from other sister alumni associations suggested that being the alumni of the oldest engineering college in Kerala, CETAA should take the initiative to form a club. Motivated from this confidence, bestowed on us by other sister alumni associations, The Engineers club Kochi was formed on 7 December 2000 at then CETAA office (CETAA House) at Mamangalam.
A Committee was constituted to look into the legal aspects and finally the club was registered on 28 March 2001 under the Travancore – Cochin Literary, Scientific and Charitable Societies Act 1955. The club started functioning at the CETAA. The founder committee consisted of Er. E V Ramachandran Nair as President, Er. D Rejith as Vice President, Er. KA Joseph as Joint Secreatary, Er. Thomas Jacob, Er. T P Gopinath, Ar. VN Ramachandran, Ar. Sony Joseph, Er. Cinu P Thomas, Er. Alex Mathew as Committee members. It was the considered opinion of the founder members that the club should have at least a piece of land before compaigning for further membership. Thus the above committee was also entrusted to select a suitable piece of land for the club.
The committee had seen more than 100 plots before the present location was finalized. The first piece of land (28 cents) was registered on 15 June 2001. Without any surety or security the CETAA Kochi members had contributed enough funds to buy this piece of land, by way of membership fee and personal loans. CETAA Kochi had contributed towards the price of about one tenth area of this land ( As a reciprocal arrangement an office space is provided for CETAA Kochi in the Club building complex). After acquiring the first piece of land the committee acquired the confidnce to campaign for memberships from Graduate Engineers passed out from colleges other than CET as well. The membership was offered only to Graduate Engineers passed out from colleges other than CET as well. The membership was offered only to Graduate Engineers from any AICTE approved Engineering College. The response from our fellow engineers, both from India and abroad was overwhelming. The second piece of land (37 cents) was registered on 26 September 2001.
Construction of the Club building
The master plan of the club premises was prepared by a team of Architects headed by Ar. VN Ramachandran and Ar. Suresh Kumar. The foundation stone for the first block of the club building complex was laid on 14 November 2001 by Late Brigadier RB Nair, who belong to the first batch of CET (1939-1942 batch). The building was completed with membership fee and personal loans from our beloved members. The contributions of Founder members Er. KA Joseph, Er. Antony Joseph, Er. D Regith, Er. EVR Nair, Er. Mathew P. Thomas, Ar. VN Ramachandran, Er. Alex Mathew, Er. PT John, Er. Vinayakumar, Er. Dilieep Kumar as well as Life Members Er. Dileep Kumar as well as Life members Er. Rajendran, Late KM Michael, Er. Deepak Kurian and Er. Anil, to mention a few in this respect, are to be remembered with gratitude. These members had contributed big sums as personal loans without any surety or security. The first phase of the club building comples was inaugurated on 26th January 2003 by Er. V Krishnamoorthy IAS, another alumnus of CET. Since then Ar. VN Ramachandran had been taking the lead in building the present club building complex you see today. The foundation stone laying of the Guest house building (2nd phase was held on 26th January 2006.
The club has got a membership strength of about 900 now. Around 31 sister clubs including prestigious clubs in Bagalore, Chennai, Pune, and Coimbatore etc. are presently affiliated to our club. More clubs will be added to this list in the near future. The membership is now open for about 100 more members. Members may utilize this limited membership to enroll their friends at the earlist.